Quote-a-palooza

“Without liberty, law loses its nature and its name, and becomes oppression. Without law, liberty also loses its nature and its name, and becomes licentiousness.” – James Wilson

“The little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person’s life.” – William Wordsworth

“The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality.” – John Quincy Adams

“We are face to face with our destiny and we must meet it with a high and resolute courage.” – Theodore Roosevelt

“The American people are not racists. They don’t hate immigrants. They believe in the rule of law…” – Maggie Gallagher

“Why am I so suspicious about the fealty of the reformers to real border control? In part because of the ridiculous debate over the building of a fence. Despite the success of the border barrier in the San Diego area, it appears to be very important that this success not be repeated.” – Charles Krauthammer

“What is at risk is not the climate but freedom. I see the biggest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity now in ambitious environmentalism, not in communism. This ideology wants to replace the free and spontaneous evolution of mankind by a sort of central (now global) planning.” – Czech president Vaclav Klaus

“The Democrats, flush from their 2006 election gains, took over Congress in January, promising to end the legislative stalemate and pass a sweeping agenda for reform. Nearly six months later, they have backpedaled on their promises of reform; they’ve made little progress on major legislation; their job-approval ratings have taken a nosedive; and there’s talk for the first time that House Democrats could lose seats to the Republicans in 2008.” – Donald Lambro

“If you are looking for a true political leader, you can just pass right over Harry Reid. He is perfectly willing to give aid and comfort to the enemy- likely putting American soldiers at greater risk by his comments- for political gain.” – Rich Galen

“The same people who say that government is a mighty power for good that can extinguish every cigarette butt and detoxify every cheeseburger and even change the very climate of the planet back to some Edenic state so that the water that falleth from heaven will land as ice and snow, and polar bears on distant continents will frolic as they did in days of yore, the very same people say: Building a border fence? Enforcing deportation orders? Can’t be done, old boy. Pie-in-the-sky.” – Mark Steyn

“I often say after eight years in Washington, I longed for the realism and sincerity of Hollywood.” – Fred Thompson

“Hillary Clinton has launched a new website where people can get all the latest Hillary news. In a related story, John Edwards has launched a new website where people can order his secret blend of shampoos and conditioners.” – Conan O’Brien

Jay Leno: All of the candidates have released their financial statements. Turns out Bill Clinton made $10 million from speaking engagements last year. See that sounds glamorous, but imagine all those nights in a hotel room, Hillary half-way across the country, him sitting there by himself all lonely. … According to a new poll, Hillary’s lead in the polls is due to her support by women. She’s bringing in the female vote. And Bill is attracting “the other woman” vote. … Here’s the latest in the John Edwards campaign. It turns out, yes, there are two Americas and neither one of them is voting for him. … A judge has turned down Scooter Libby’s request to delay his prison term. In fact, the judge gave him an extra three months just for having that stupid name, Scooter. … There’s a huge problem with the Russian space station. The computers failed. The whole computer system went down. Pretty scary. But they’re hoping they can fix the problem and call tech support when they fly over India. … Actually, two thirds of it has been fixed, although the system that controls oxygen manufacture had been down for two days. And you know what happens when astronauts don’t get enough oxygen? They drive 900 miles in a diaper to kidnap other astronauts. … According to a new study 30 percent of Cubans are overweight. The other 70 percent are still in Cuba…. Dan Rather came out swinging this week. He said that CBS and Katie Couric are tarting up the news. Tarting up the news? As opposed to Dan, who just made up the news.