Comment on the XM/Sirius merger

The form is available here

Here are the comments I submitted in favor of the merger:

This proposed merger should be allowed. I’ve been an XM subscriber for a few years now, and frankly I don’t listen to it that much any more since I’ve gotten an iPod, where I can choose only the songs I want to listen to. Even with the variety of stations XM offers, it can’t match the quality of music I can pick on my own.

This is an indication that the market that XM and Sirius are operating in is not merely the narrowly defined “Satellite radio” market, but a much larger entertainment market. As we see in the example above, iPods compete with XM radio. XM radio and terrestrial radio are also obvious competitors. Music stations are also available over many digital cable networks, which creates even more competition for satellite radio. Defining XM and Sirius’ market as satellite radio, rather than a broader entertainment based definition, is unnecessarily restrictive. Allowing this merger will not negatively impact competition and so it should be allowed.

Quote-a-palooza

“Happily for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society.” – James Madison

“By liberty I mean the assurance that every man shall be protected in doing what he believes is his duty against the influence of authority and majorities, custom and opinion.” – Lord Acton

“But to manipulate men, to propel them toward goals which you – the social reformers – see, but they may not, is to deny their human essence, to treat them as objects without wills of their own, and therefore to degrade them.” – Isaiah Berlin

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.” – Andrew Fletcher

“Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.” – Jeff

“He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.” – Epictetus

“The biggest battle since the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein’s regime is under way in Iraq. Its outcome could determine whether the war is won or lost… The heart of the offensive is Operation Arrowhead Ripper, in Diyala province northeast of Baghdad, involving some 8,000 American and 2,000 Iraqi troops…[I]f Arrowhead Ripper succeeds, you may not hear much about it. A U.S. victory would be too embarrassing for those in the media who have staked their reputations on defeat.” – Jack Kelly

“[Democrat presidential candidate John Edwards] has become nearly irrelevant. With the exception of Iowa, where he leads by a few points in the poll averages, Edwards is a non-story. He trails Hillary and her sky high unfavorables. He lags behind Obama and his ultra-thin resume. He’s even finds himself looking up at Al Gore, a horse so stale he’s been on the national stage since Britney was sober and in the mouseketeers.” – Jason Wright

“[Dick Cheney] may be more popular than Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, but that’s like saying, ‘This head cheese is tastier than carpet mold’.” – Jonah Goldberg

“According to a new poll, 15 percent of Americans say that Hillary Clinton gives them the creeps. The other 85 percent say she gives them the willies or the heebie jeebies.” – Conan O’Brien

Quote-a-palooza

“Happily for America, happily, we trust, for the whole human race, they pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society.” – James Madison

“By liberty I mean the assurance that every man shall be protected in doing what he believes is his duty against the influence of authority and majorities, custom and opinion.” – Lord Acton

“But to manipulate men, to propel them toward goals which you – the social reformers – see, but they may not, is to deny their human essence, to treat them as objects without wills of their own, and therefore to degrade them.” – Isaiah Berlin

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.” – Andrew Fletcher

“Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.” – Jeff

“He is a man of sense who does not grieve for what he has not, but rejoices in what he has.” – Epictetus

“The biggest battle since the invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein’s regime is under way in Iraq. Its outcome could determine whether the war is won or lost… The heart of the offensive is Operation Arrowhead Ripper, in Diyala province northeast of Baghdad, involving some 8,000 American and 2,000 Iraqi troops…[I]f Arrowhead Ripper succeeds, you may not hear much about it. A U.S. victory would be too embarrassing for those in the media who have staked their reputations on defeat.” – Jack Kelly

“[Democrat presidential candidate John Edwards] has become nearly irrelevant. With the exception of Iowa, where he leads by a few points in the poll averages, Edwards is a non-story. He trails Hillary and her sky high unfavorables. He lags behind Obama and his ultra-thin resume. He’s even finds himself looking up at Al Gore, a horse so stale he’s been on the national stage since Britney was sober and in the mouseketeers.” – Jason Wright

“[Dick Cheney] may be more popular than Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, but that’s like saying, ‘This head cheese is tastier than carpet mold’.” – Jonah Goldberg

“According to a new poll, 15 percent of Americans say that Hillary Clinton gives them the creeps. The other 85 percent say she gives them the willies or the heebie jeebies.” – Conan O’Brien

Why didn’t I think of this?

Wired 12.07: VIEW

Did you hear the one about the programmer who outsourced his own job? I read about it on Slashdot.org, the “news for nerds” Web site. A pseudonymous poster wrote, “About a year ago I hired a developer in India to do my job. I pay him $12,000 to do the job I get paid $67,000 for. He’s happy to have the work. I’m happy that I only have to work 90 minutes a day, talking code. My employer thinks I’m telecommuting. Now I’m considering getting a second job and doing the same thing.”

“Why are you so into Mary?”

Decaf: We’re crady about Our Lady

I had a good friend once ask me, “Why are you so into Mary?” My response was, “The real question is: Why is God so into Mary?” He chose her. I don’t think any of us would have complained had Jesus just appeared at the age of 30 and began His public ministry. But He chose Mary to participate in His saving work, and He still does today. Since the time of Christ, she has appeared throughout history and proclaimed the need to repent and embrace God’s love. I’m not talking about the ink stains on the sides of buildings, or her face in a potato chip- that’s stuff for the tabloids. I’m talking Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe and many other approved apparitions that transformed cultures and brought about great conversions. God wants Mary to be a part of your life, and her mission hasn’t changed since her first “yes” to the angel- she is the means by which God wants to bring Christ to the world.

Hat Tip: The Curt Jester

Quote of the Day

“On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.”

— Thomas Jefferson (letter to William Johnson, 12 June 1823)

Reference: Jefferson: Writings, Peterson ed., Library of America (1475)